Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Photo IDs for panhandlers

Strategy targets begging in Akron

This is just a law to allow the cops to arrest people for panhandling. Period. Do people REALLY think that just passing a law requiring a special photo ID and saying you cannot panhandle in these locations will magically make people stop doing it? I realize politicians are not necessarily the sharpest crayons in the box, but come on people.

I am not arguing that there is an issue with panhandling in Akron. I know there is. It does not keep me from going downtown. What keeps me from going downtown is a lack of things that I am interested in. Let me say that again - What keeps me from going downtown is a lack of things that I am interested in.

I have rarely felt unsafe in Akron. I have been told though my perception maybe skewed given I am a 6 foot tall male.

No comments: