Friday, February 18, 2005

Catch up by the sicko

It has been 10 days since my last post. Many things have happend since last I wrote.

Fun in the hospital
Just before Valentine's day I got some unusual chest pains and went to the emergency room. Given some palpitations 6 months ago and "something unusual" in my EKG they decided to keep me for observation and further tests. So I got to sit around for 2 days, caffine free (YIKES!!!), with a heart monitor hook up and taking a stress test. Fortunately everything is fine, and given where the pains where the doctor things it was a muscle pull/strain.

Now let me say that even though I was in the hospital the experience was not bad. The nurses were nice, mostly I think because I was a younger patient in the cardiac care unit (CCU) and I was not really creating any problems. My only complaint was the lack of something to do since I felt fine. Thank God for TNT, although my TV got shut off at 12:30 on Tuesday and as I was supposed to be discharged I was not willing to pay for an hour or two of TV. I wish I would have had another book, especially since for the 2 day stress test I had to wait 45 to 60 minutes from getting an injection of radioactive dye and having the picture part of the test.

The big office move
Now because of my hospital stay, I missed the worst part of the move, however I do have to say I am liking the new building. I will post some pictures later today after I get them off my camera. All of my stuff showed up in my cube, the phone worked, I have a ton of drawer space (although not laid out as I would like), and a bookshelf. I wish I could have gotten a picture of my last work area, particularly the amazing leaning bookshelf.

There are a few things that I do like. There is a cafeteria in the building. Normally I pack a lunch and work through lunch. Granted I mostly answer email and catch up on some reading, but that way I can get out a little earlier from work. Now I can run down and pick up something and run back to my desk. We now have a pop machine that does $.25 cans. The termperature seems to be better regulated. The ceiling tiles are all one color (although someone was going to bring over some of the ones from the old place for me). There is plenty of parking (for now). There are mulitple types of tea (I don't drink coffee) and even hot cocoa.

Not that, even 2 days after the big move, things are smooth sailing. The men's room just got soap today. The bottled water that we had in the last place is not going to start until next week sometime. Many people had their business cards misprinted. The under shelf lights have the switch clear in the back and in the far corner. Good thing we have lots of indirect lighting, plus I am right across an aisle from the windows.

On the upside I have business cards for the first time in almost 11 years at this company.

I am still adjusting to cube living, having spent the last 10 or so years sharing an office. Plus the ergonomics are very different and I am coming home with stiff shoulders. I mostly have my cube setup (a lot more than in the picture I have), although I am thinking of moving my monitor so I can get it to sit a little bit higher.

I hate my car, I hate my car
I believe I mentioned my alternator fell apart, literally. Right after than I also got a flat tire that had to be fixed. On Wednesday, my first day back from work, after my walking at the Nat, my car would not start. A tow and $65 later I now have my battery reattached to the electrical system. I still need to get something fixed in the steering, but it is a slow leak that I can work around for a bit.

No comments: