Thursday, June 23, 2005

Browser makers warned against ad-blocking: ZDNet Australia: News: Software

Browser makers warned against ad-blocking: ZDNet Australia: News: Software

I think trying to draw an analogy to newspapers from websites is a bit of a stretch in this case:

1) The speed with which I get my paper is the same regardless of the number of ads. A webpage slows down as it has to bang different servers to get the ads, not to mention display the ads.

2) The ads in newspapers are, mostly, out of the way. It is not like you are reading and bam in the middle of the article is a huge ad. How many websites do that now?

3) Ads in newspapers don't have the potential to track where I came from, or possibly download spyware into my brain.

4) Figuring out what is an ad and what is content is many times much easier on the newspaper than on the web.

I don't mind suffering a few ads for some free content - I do that now with both online and offline sources. I realize that "free" content comes with costs - hosting space & bandwidth at the minimum. What I do mind is the constant barage of ads and overriding of content (mine or other peoples) without their permission or compensation.

No comments: