Thursday, March 24, 2005

Adventures In Babysitting

Tomorrow I am getting up early to go and watch my nieces & nephew. I intend to take my laptop and get some things done. Except for the youngest (18 months, roughly) the others just need a responsible adult around. I'm as close as my brother could find. My primary goal is to get my taxes done and ready to eFile through TurboTax.

Ripping Fun

I have been slowly ripping my CD collection to put on my Creative Labs Nomad Zen Extra. According to the player I have 521 songs on 98 albums. The album count is a bit high since I know I have some albums on there currently that only has 1 or 2 songs from them. I am only adding songs when I plug in to charge, and have maybe a dozen CDs stacked up that is waiting for me to move the MP3s over. I know that at least 1 of the CDs I already have one song on my player. So far this has taken up less than 10% of the available space. I'm guessing I have 75-100 CDs left.

eBay Fun

I may not have mentioned before, but even 2 years later I still have stuff from my mom's estate that I need to find a good home for. Most small stuff like VHS & DVD movies and a couple of CDs, plus a few things of my own that I want to get rid of like my old Handspring Visor (a Palm clone). However there is a law due to go into effect here in Ohio requireing people who put stuff out on eBay to get an auctioneer's liscense, which is $200/year and requires a $50,000 bond, not to mention all the training & testing.

As the law is currently worded ANYONE in the state of Ohio putting something for sale on eBay would require to go through this. Now to me at least, as a user of eBay, eBay would be the auctioneer in this case at the minimum. If someone is using eBay as an internet store then I would think they would be required to have a vendor's liscense, not an auctioneer's licsense. The article mentions that they are going to reword the law so that individual sellers are excluded, but they have given no indication as to what is going to be considered the difference between individuals and businesses.

No comments: