Sunday, January 16, 2005

Catching up on a cold day, loving WiFi again

This bipolar weather we have been having is playing with my system. Typically it gets cold and stays cold, my body adjusts, life is good. We have not even had a super cold day. Typically we would have had a day or two of 10 degree weather (or lower) by now, and it has not happened. Hopefully things will stay cold now and I can stay acclimated to the colder weather.

Loving WiFi, tenatively

Yesterday I wrote how I had picked up some high gain antenna for my wireless router. So far things have worked out. I have had my computer out in the living room for a couple of hours and no lost connection. Way cool, so far. Over the summer things worked out well at first. We will see a week from now.

Making FireFox a speed demon

Ok, maybe not a speed demon, but at least a lot perkier than it was. I switched from Mozilla over to FireFox after the 1.0 version came up, as well as Thunderbird. So far I love both of them. Thunderbird in particular since the hotkeys I have come to know and love are mostly used. Ok, I'm an old DOS dude who remembers hotkeys for just about everything. Plus I spent two years in high school in vocation learning all the ins and outs of typing like a maniac.

Anyways, many probably seen this, but here is something that can really speed up FireFox. I know there have been some concern over hammering servers unnecessarily, but so far I have not seen any problems (well, if I can stop the damn dial up screen from popping up and stopping the loading dead that is). I have noticed that some servers do not take advantage of this, some do. For example User Friendly pops right up, but My Yahoo is not much faster. Try the following:

How To Speed Up Firefox (Helpful Vanity)


Posted on 12/12/2004 12:45:50 PM PST by KoRn


Here's something for broadband people that will really speed Firefox up:

1.Type "about:config" into the address bar and hit return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:

network.http.pipelining network.http.proxy.pipelining network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request to a web page at a time. When you enable pipelining it will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:

Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"

Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. This means it will make 30 requests at once.

3. Lastly right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before it acts on information it recieves.

If you're using a broadband connection you'll load pages MUCH faster now!


How do women afford it

As I have mentioned the only reality show I watch is Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. As a result, and my recent turning 40, I have been trying to take a little bit better of the oustide of myself. Nothing serious mind you, just some lotion, conditioner for what is left of my hair, something a little gentlier to wash my face, and some stuff to help the dark circles under my eyes. Man is this stuff expensive! Like I said, I only got a few things. I can't see how women can afford all of this AND make up. I have yet to even start on a wardrobe changes.

1 comment:

Fiber said...

See - reason #1 why women find a sugar daddy.

Thanks for the monkey dance!