Thursday, April 21, 2005

Star Wars Revelations .. A�Panic Struck Productions Film

Star Wars Revelations .. A�Panic Struck Productions Film

I believe I have blogged about this before, but now it is out! The largest file is 260 meg and is just over 47 minutes with credits. With BitTorrent it took less than 2 hours (I did not check the exact time - I started it up and came back 2 hours later it was all done). They alos have a DVD image for those with a burner.

Was this a great piece of cinema? No, but it was enjoyable. Frankly I have seen worse commercial releases. Sometimes the effects seemed a little, the word I thought of was "incomplete". Like they needed another day or two of computer processing to really finish things off. I don't discount this could have been a result of my computer monitor however. Wish I had a DVD burner to get the image and see it on a regular TV.

What I find most interesting is the process they used. Although they will not give a final figure, it looks like the spent somewhere in the neightborhood of $30K or less on the film. Granted all the actors & crew were volunteers and the whole process took something like 3 years to complete, but I think this shows what a group of dedicated individuals who are inspired to create something can do.

Right now the timing is such that such films can gain a market. Low budget films & documentaries have, traditionally, had no good outlet. However with broadband getting great penetration into homes people are now looking at the $40-$50/month and wondering how to maximize the return. Indie musicians figured out awhile back how they can market themselves on the internet, and now I think indie film makers are learning. BitTorrent, I feel, is the tipping factor for video. I know, personally, that is how my thinking has been.

BTW - does anyone else know what Karen Hammang has been in? She played The Emperor's Hand in the movie and her face seems familiar. I plugged her name into Google and did not come up with much. Maybe she just looks like someone I know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Regarding Karen Hammang, I can't figure out who she is either. It's kinda annoying.