Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Harvey Danger - Why We're Releasing Our New Album for Free on the Internet

Harvey Danger - Why We're Releasing Our New Album for Free on the Internet

This is someone who gets it.

Making a CD, or even a tape back in the day, is usually a financial lose to the independent artist. It is tough to get your music into stores, so usually people ended up selling them at clubs where they perform.

However they recognize that buying physical medium is a very different experience from downloading music. I love to walk through a music store (or a music section of a store) and just look around for something that maybe interesting. This is why Borders and the like still going strong even though Amazon has a much larger selection and sometimes better prices.

I hope this works out for them. I have not downloaded the music yet, waiting until I am home to make use of their BitTorrent download and save them some bandwidth costs. I am not sure what it takes to get listed on iTunes or other online music stores as an independent artist. However I do know one thing, if I find a song or two I would like to add to my permanent collection I like the idea of all the money I would normally spend at iTunes going to the group instead of a small portion of it.

No comments: