Saturday, November 27, 2004

More fun than humans should have

I was up way too late watching videos last night (I got caught up in a disc of Farscape episodes from season 3), but I still managed to wake up at 5. As such I have been doing some mindless surfing of blogs and decided to post something. I am on my way out to get my walk in, plus do my shopping for the week before coming home to get some cleaning done. My dishes have not been done in almost a week. Granted I usually do not generate a lot of dishes during the week, but still it gets a little yucky.

Review: To Ride A Silver Broomstick by Silver Ravenwolf

I know a lot of people who are Wiccan, so I wanted to learn a little more about it. Besides other religions have always fascinated me. So I picked up this book on the recommendation of some people as a good beginners book.

I feel the book was well written. The writing style is aimed at a younger audience and does not get into some of the snobbish language I have found in some metaphysical books. As it may be good for a beginner, if you are only after the basics this is not the book for you. Yes the basics are covered, however the book is aimed at someone who is seriously considering being a Wiccan. Although some insight into the practices is interesting, at almost 300 pages it can get more detailed than what you would want. It took me awhile to get through it, mostly beause I would read some, put it down and read some other books, and then go back to it. I found it interesting because most of what she lumps under magical work I have read about in other metaphysical sources. Same ideas, just different lingo.

So if you are looking for a quick intro to Wicca, look elsewhere or borrow this book and only read the first section and chapters 21 & 22.

Review The Terminal. Tom Hanks, Catherine Zeta Jones & Steven Spielberg. How can you go wrong? Well, it does not go too wrong. First off it is a bit of a feel-good film, and I think it was well done. I think, though, that given the situation something would have been done long before this. There needs to be a procedure for this, and even if there was not one I would think that they would have done something to have gotten this man out of JFK airport. Now I will admit that this is based on a true story, however even the man involved has been offered a way out (legally) several times, but has refused. Face it - this is a publicity nightmare for both the airport and the country.

No comments: