Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Stuffing & queers & global warming oh my!

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and it is time for the debate to start - which is better: stuffing or dressing? Aren't they the same thing? Sort of. Stuffing is when you cook it in the bird (stuff it in, stuffing, get it?) and dressing is the same thing but baked in a pan. Personally I'm a dressing man, although I will admit usually we use the "Stove Top" variety from a box. Please, no rotten food projectiles ;).

Last night was the Queer Eye For The Straight Guy's Thanksgiving show. It was the first new Queer Eye in some that I have gotten to see. This is the one reality show that I do watch (ok, Monster House, but is that really a reality show?) regularly. I admit I am not much better than many of the guys they feature on the show. As a single guy living alone it is real easy for me to not clean things for awhile until they get really grungy. On the up side I have started to use conditioner in my hair and wash my face with something other than regular soap. One thing the show has done, I feel, is to break down some barriers for straight guys. We all may not be running out to get manicures & facials, but it is more acceptable. Also it has allowed some of the closet clothes horses that I know to be a little more open about it.

It is almost December and here in Akron they are talking temperatures in the 50s over the weekend. Normally by now we would be well entrenched in the 30s, with occasional peaks into the 40s. I have been having trouble getting comfortable at night because of it - too cool for just a sheet but too warm for the blankets that I have. Time to go digging to see if I have anything lighter. I still have not put the windows in my screen doors yet - which just goes to show you how warm it still is here. Granted I have not had the doors open much.

I was a bit shocked when I got 3 electric bills, all addressed to me, yesterday. WTF!?! Turns out, for some reason, I got the current bill and 2 months previous bills. Weird, but ok. Turns out somewhere along the line I got seriously overbilled and have something like a $200 credit. I know I got a $80 bill in August and a $40 before that, but where in the world did that come from. I am not sure what is going on, but I will enjoy it for now. Fortunately I owned nothing on all 3 bills. Happy dance!! I forgot to check my last gas bill to see where I stand with that. I use a budget payment plan that averages out my natural gas bill all year. Yea I pay $83 in the summer, but then again I pay the same in the winter. I just got a new furnace this year - a nice 90+% efficient unit that replaced a 50+ year old gravity furnace with a serial number of 2 (I shit you not - 2). I normally keep things a little chillier than most people, and if I had a programmable thermostat I would even keep it cooler at night. I am hoping that the extra $1500 was worth it.

BTW has anyone gotten one of those high efficiency furnaces put in? I was shocked by what had to happen. Now I will admit my install was not exactly standard - new wiring (no electric to the old furnace), new gas lines (not current code), new duct work (WAY too big for the new furnace) and of course the size difference was considerable (something like 80,000 BTU to 15,000 BTU). But I was not ready for some of the other stuff they had to do. I expected they had to put in a chimney liner, that is the current code, but my furnace vents out the side of the house, not up the chimney. They had to put in a liner just for my hot water heater (replaced last year). Also there is a drip line to help with accumulated moisture in the furnace (which, of course, runs across the floor of my basement since there is no drain anywhere near my furnace). Oh and they ripped out the incinerator from my grandparents that has not worked in 20+ years. Now all I need is to get the programmable thermostat installed, which looks pretty easy.

No comments: