Friday, May 20, 2005

mozdev.org - greasemonkey: index

mozdev.org - greasemonkey: index

Now I have to admit I was very much against Google altering the browsing pages, mostly because content is altered only to the benefit of Google.

However, if a user wants to do some page hacking, I see no problems with that. At least the user has control over WHAT gets done, and can easily turn off the changes (theoretically at least). This goes hand in hand with the link to Ajax earlier.

The really cool scripts I have yet to find. I saw a dead-tree article about how someone had linked in a hover over to let them know if an ISBN was available at their local library, and a similar hover over to show the price of a book (again through ISBN) at Amazon and several other book sites. Personally I like these more than changes on the page itself. Even the developers have admitted they need a clearer way to let the users know that a page has been modified by user scripts.

BTW - there is a GreasemonkIE for Internet Explorer users. I use both IE & Firefox (at work & home respectively), although at work I am not sure I want to use GreasemonkIE since part of my job does involve web page development. There is enough weirdness going on without rogue javascripts giving me the red ass.

No comments: