Thursday, September 29, 2005

� Move over Microsoft, Dell. The $100 PC cometh. From MIT. | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

� Move over Microsoft, Dell. The $100 PC cometh. From MIT. | Between the Lines | ZDNet.com

I've blogged about the $100 computer before. I remember reading Negroponte talking about this back when he had a regular column in the back of Wired magazine (the only reason I even go most issues).

I said that $100 is a key point for handhelds. If we can get the cost to $100 or less, people would keep multiple Palm/Pocket PC/Blackberry type devices. Think Star Trek with their little Padds where they would have multiple of them loaded with different projects they were working with.

If we could get a $100 tablet style computer I could see electronic books really taking off. Handhelds are a little too small for really lots of reading, and laptops are not convenient. Tablets though have the right form factor for electronic books.

No comments: